To Our Community:
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Henderson Police Department has implemented minor adjustments in our operating procedures to ensure we can continue to provide the safety and core services to our community. In order to accomplish these goals, we have implemented the following temporary plan:
- Many non-violent and misdemeanor reports can be made online with no waiting. If you are reporting Harassing Phone Calls, Damage to Property, Hit and Run, Lost Property, Damage to Vehicle, Identity Theft, Stolen Property, Theft From Vehicle, Credit Card Theft/Fraud, within the City limits and no suspect is known, please email the Henderson Police Department at Records@hendersonpd.nc.gov and provide your name, address, contact information to include a phone number and a description of the incident you are reporting.
- Effective immediately, many non-violent criminal reports will only be taken by telephone. These reports include, but are not limited to: misdemeanor theft, harassing communications, lost property, identity theft, computer/phone/mail scams. Reports can be made with a live Henderson Police Department employee during normal business hours (8:30 am to 5:00 pm M-F) at: 252-438-4141.
- Our Dispatch Center is asking more questions to collect a wider range of information from callers to better prepare officers who are responding to calls. This is being done so officers can take more proactive steps; it will not affect officers’ response to calls for service.
- Officers may ask community members to meet them outside of homes and businesses where appropriate in order to practice social distancing.
- Officers have been issued personal protective equipment, and they may be seen wearing gloves, face masks, protective eyewear and clothing. This is especially true in medical testing environments and/or in environments known to have increased risk of illness. Officers may ask community members to wear surgical face masks if they are showing signs of illness.
- The Henderson Police Department attempts to utilize alternatives to arrest when possible, and we are working with the Vance County Sheriff’s Office to screen arrestees and employees who may be entering the detention center facilities. This is to reduce the risk of introducing and/or spreading the virus in the detention center environment.
- We have temporarily suspended agency tours and ride-along programs.
- Copies of police incident reports can be requested by email at Records@hendersonpd.nc.gov.