This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

City Seal  small

Sanitation Division

2023 Recycling Schedule

The Solid Waste Division of Public Works handles a multitude of items within the City of Henderson.

The staff consists of one (1) supervisor, two (2) employees on brush crew, and one (1) employee on recycle.

The Solid Waste Division is responsible for household garbage, small curbside trash, bulky trash, recyclables, yard debris and loose leaf collection.   Household garbage, small curbside trash, bulky trash, and yard debris are collected weekly on the same collection day.


The City of Henderson contracts with Waste Industries for the collection of household garbage and small curbside trash.  One (1) ninety-five (95) gallon roll out cart is provided to each utility account address for the collection and disposal of household garbage. Small items that will not fit into the cart may be left neatly at the curb next to the roll out cart for collection by Waste Industries.  Roll out carts are assigned to the address and not the resident at the address.  When a resident moves, the roll out carts must stay with the address.  A fee of $75.00 will be charged to occupants removing cart from residence.

Household garbage must be bagged prior to being put in roll out cart.  Carts must be rolled to the curb on your scheduled collection day.

Roll out carts must be placed at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on the day of collection and removed from the curb by 7:00 p.m. on the day of collection.  Carts may be rolled to the curb on the evening prior to collection not earlier than 6:00 p.m. If you need to know which day your garbage will be collected on, please click this website and follow instructions. Waste Industries collects garbage every holiday except Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day.  The city sanitation staff will follow the same schedule for brush and recyclable removal.

Those citizens requiring assistance with roll out carts may apply for an exemption (go to Public Works Forms & Schedules for the Exemption Form) with medical certification.  Resident must live alone and be medically unable to roll cart to curb.  The Public Services Director will visit each residence applying for exemption to verify information about residents in the home. Waste Industries has made available 65 gallon and 35 gallon carts for residents that have backdoor service but with a smaller cart can be moved to curbside collection.  Please contact the Pubic Services Department if you wish to switch your large cart for a smaller one.

Bulky trash (couches, bookcases, mattresses, large furniture) items must be scheduled for collection by calling the administrative at 252-431-6115.  All bulky trash left at the curb and weighing over 200 pounds carries a charge of $75.00 per hour with a $75.00 minimum.  This charge is added to your utility bill. If the house is vacant, the property owner will receive an invoice for the fee. Property owners within Vance County may take their trash to the transfer station free of charge.

If you experience issues with household trash and garbage pickup, please fill out and submit our Sanitation Complaint Form.


Recyclables are collected every other week on the same day as household trash by City staff members.  The Public Services Department provides 18 gallon totes for the disposal of recycles.  Citizens wishing to use their old garbage cans or other larger containers may do so but the container must be clearly marked as recycle.  Go to Public Services Forms & Schedules, click on Calendar of Events for collection schedule.

The State of North Carolina has banned certain items from the landfill and those items must be recycled.  Effective October 1, 2009 those items must be recycled:

 Aluminum Cans   Lead-Acid Batteries   Antifreeze
 Appliances   Motor Oil  Oyster Shells
 Yard Waste    Scrap Tires   Oil Filters
 Pallets  Plastic Bottles  

Beverage Containers from ABC permitted facilities

Convenience sites throughout Vance County have recyclable collection bins and any citizens within the County may take recycles to the sites free of charge.

Effective July 1, 2011 – Computers, Monitors  and Televisions must be recycled
Effective July 1, 2011 – Fluorescent Light Bulbs must be recycled (this does not include households)

Vance County will install pods at 2 convenience sites (Broddie Road and Hwy. 39 North) in Vance County for the collection of computers, monitors and televisions and any citizen within the County may take these items to the sites free of charge.

Work is underway by Vance County for the fluorescent light bulbs but no final decisions have been made at this time.
Our recycling flyers provide an informative brochure of what can be recycled.  View Page 1, and Page 2.


The Solid Waste Division staff collects yard debris on a weekly basis the same day as household trash is collected.  The City utilizes a garbage truck for small piles of yard debris and a knuckle boom truck with extended arms for large piles.

The garbage truck collects grass clippings, leaves, small twigs, brush and branches left at the curb.  Yard debris MUST be free of trash and foreign matter.  Grass clippings, leaves, small twigs and small brush must be in containers at the curb for collections.  If you choose to use an old garbage can it must be clearly marked “Yard Debris”.  Tarps, clear plastic bags, and yard totes may be used at the curb.  Any yard debris left at the curb weighing more than 200 pounds will carry a charge of $75.00 per hour with a $75.00 minimum for collection.  It is assumed by the City that if you pile it at the curb you wish it to be removed and no notice will be given.  The fees will be added to your utility bill.  If the property is vacant, the property owner will receive an invoice from the Public Services Department for the fees.

Per City Ordinance yard debris must be left at the curb under the following conditions:

  • Loose grass, pine straw, pine cones, leaves must be in a container except during loose leave season.
  • Yard debris must be free of trash and foreign matter.
  • Limbs and branches must be less than 4 feet in length.
  • Tree trunks must be less than 36 inches in height and width
  • No root balls are collected.
  • City does not remove yard debris behind landscapers, if you hire someone to work in your yard, the contractor is required to haul away any and all debris
  • City does not remove tree behind tree service companies, if you hire someone to remove a tree from your property, the contractor is required to haul away any and all debris.
Loose leaf collection begins around October 15 and ends around January 15.  All loose leaves must be raked to the edge of your yard.  Loose leave can not be raked into the street.  No loose leaves are to be raked into storm ditches or gutters.  Loose leaves are to be free of foreign materials.  No rocks, pine cones or sticks in leaves.  The machine used to vacuum leaves has such a low clearance that rocks or sticks will break the impeller and stop the machine from working.   Vacuum machines will cover the city on a two (2) week rotation.  Please do not pile leaves out behind the truck, wait until the next rotation for collection.  Leaves will stop up the flow of rainwater and cause problems on city streets.

Loose leaves can be bagged in clear plastic bags for collection.  Bags are sold at the Operations and Service Center located 900 S. Beckford Drive and City Hall located 134 Rose Avenue.  Bags are in rolls of ten (10) for $2.50.  Bagged leaves will be collected  on the same day as your household trash each week.  Crews on the leaf trucks work Monday thru Saturday of each week during loose leaf collection.


The Public Works Department does not normally collect construction materials from residences and businesses.  If construction material of any kind is collected there will be a charge of $350.00 per hour with a minimum of $350.00.  You must call the Public Works Administrative staff at 252-431-6115 to schedule pick up.  The fees will be added to your utility bill for this service.  If the property is vacant, the property owner will receive an invoice from Public Works for the fees.

William Bailey, Assistant Public Works Director - Street Division, Elmwood Cemetery Administrator
Office:  252-431-6117