Downtown Development Commission
The Henderson-Vance Downtown Development Commission (DDC) was formed for the purpose of promoting revitalization and combating deterioration by:
- Identifying and fostering the development of projects that will improve the quality of downtown Henderson
- Collecting and interpreting information concerning business and investment
- Identifying projects involving public spaces, including pedestrian ways, parking lots and spaces, parks and open spaces, streets and traffic patterns, and facade improvements and implementing assistance in achieving these improvements
- Identifying spaces in need of buildings and buildings in need of improvements, renovation or demolition; proposing plans and identifying and soliciting funds for such projects; serving as a resource for information concerning the use of tax credits and other economic aspects of development in the downtown
- Undertaking community activities designed to bring people to the downtown
- Coordinating the actions of the private sector to make downtown projects more feasible and to further the overall quality of downtown
- Undertaking other activities related to the downtown, provided, however, that no activities shall be undertaken which are: 1) not permissible activities for an exempt corporation organized under Section 501 (c) ( 3) of the Internal Revenue Code 2) not lawful activities for a corporation organized under Chapter 55A of the North Carolina General Statutes
For current information, please follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hendersonncdowntown
Meeting Schedule and Location: The DDC meets the third Tuesday of each month at 4:00 p.m. Due to the current restrictions imposed during COVID-19 Pandemic, all meetings will be held online using known technology platforms. A video link will be provided for the public to review all open board meetings.
Application to Serve on Commission: Please contact the DDC Board principal office of the Corporation. We are located at 207 N. Garnett St, Henderson, NC 27536.
Membership and Terms of Appointment: The DDC is comprised of a Board of Directors consisting of twenty-one (21) persons:
- sixteen (16) Directors to be chosen to represent one or more interests as set out in subsection (C) of the adopted bylaws
- one (1) Executive Director appointed by the Henderson City Council
- two (2) Directors appointed by the Henderson City Council
- two (2) Directors to represent the local governing bodies, namely, the Mayor of Henderson and a designee of the Vance County Board of Commissioners.
The Directors shall serve terms of three years. This provision intends that the Board shall have staggered terms and that no more than one—third of the membership not representing local governing bodies would be up for replacement or reappointment in any given year.