This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

City Seal  small

Zoning Board of Adjustment

The Zoning Board of Adjustment (BOA) is a key City board established pursuant to NC General Statues and Section 42 of the Henderson City Charter.  It is a quasi-judicial authority and its decisions may only be appealed to the court system.  The purpose of the BOA is to consider particular kinds of development issues with the city and its extraterritorial jurisdiction that require special use permits or variances from the City’s Zoning Ordinance.  When considering applications for special use permits and variances, the BOA will receive testimony under oath. Subsequent to hearing testimony and reviewing data, the BOA is required to make a “findings of fact” as part of its decision making process.

Meeting Schedule and Location:  The BOA meets regularly on the first Tuesday of each month at 3:30 p.m. in the City Council Chambers, City Hall, 134 Rose Avenue, in downtown Henderson.  The public is cordially invited to attend.

Annual Budget:  The City Council does not appropriate funds to the BOA; however, funding is provided to support staff assistance and other needs of the Board via the annual budget for the Department of Planning and Community Development.

Staff Contacts:  Anyone having a question about the BOA and business before it should feel free to contact the Department of Development Services at 252-430-5723.

Application to Serve on Commission:  Please click here to find the  Application for Boards  form.  Please copy and send the completed form to Ms. Esther J. McCrackin, City Clerk, P. O. Box 1434, Henderson, NC 27536 or deliver it in person at City Hall, 134 Rose Avenue, in downtown Henderson.

Membership and Terms of Appointment:  The BOA is comprised of 14 members.  The City Council appoints seven (7) members.  Six (6) are regular members and (2) are alternate members.  The Vance County Board of Commissioners also appoints seven (7) members, two (2) of whom are alternates.  City appointees must reside within the City and County appointee must reside within the City’s extraterritorial jurisdiction.